Here are some precautionary steps you should take:
1. Change your tampon at least 4 times a day, or every 3 to 4 hours.
2. Use the lowest absorbency tampon that you need. Using a lower absorbency will encourage you to change more frequently which is key.
3. As a general rule never leave a tampon in for longer than 8 hours, or overnight. Change to pads for night time use.
4. Maintain your hygiene, wash your hands before, and after inserting a tampon.
5. Finally, and most importantly, keep yourself clean with daily showers or baths. Make sure you use clean towels as well as clean, breathable underwear, such as cotton underwear.